SO 2 weeks ago Monday we got ourselves our very first puppy. Our neighbor had asked if we would want to get one for the kids. Josh and I talked and knew that the boys really wanted one and so we thought what the heck. We also did it because the puppy was just given to us and so we knew we wouldn't be out anything if it didn't work out.
The puppy was a Chihuahua / wiener dog mix. He was white with black spots and was just adorable. We first called him Oreo, but quickly Jarom didn't like the name. he just kept calling him Buddy and so we thought, well we will call him buddy. Then one night I was holding him and saw that the spots on his back and the white there was the letter C on him. So I told Josh we need to think of a name that starts with C. Right away Josh said " Charlie Bit Me!" and from then on our new Little puppy was Charlie. Jarom liked it and to hear Cole call the puppy Charlie was so cute.
The first night wasn't too bad, but I couldn't believe that I was up at 1:30am just playing in the room with this super hyper puppy. I was up until about 3 with him. The next morning Josh woke up and was like This isn't going to work! "going to work, you didn't have to do anything last night. i told him.
It did get better but I was still up once a night with him and i was getting very tired. The kids loved Charlie, but I was scared they were going to kill him. Poor Camrie learned quickly she could pick him up with one arm and carry him around. Poor Charlie started to run to his cage whenever he saw the kids. However he couldn't even hide in the cage, most of the time Cole and Camrie would just climb right in and pull him back out.
So come Sunday Josh and I were talking and this new puppy thing just wasn't working out. I was so tired after getting up every night for 2 weeks. I thought my kiddos were bad!! And I just didn't see it worth it if poor Charlie didn't even like the kids and ran from him.
I called my neighbor who told us about the puppy and let her know what I was thinking. She said she would take the dog and give us some time to think and see if this is what we really wanted to do. Jarom cried himself to sleep which then made me all upset because I felt like the worst mom ever. Here I get their hopes up in getting this new puppy and only 2 weeks later I get rid of him.
So then I was a mess wondering if I acted too fast and if I had made the right decision. Josh told me to sleep on it. However the thought just kept coming back to me that I just taught my kids that when things are hard or not how you thought it would be, you just give up or walk away. I couldn't have them think this.
We woke up the next morning, after us ALL sleeping through the night, it was AMAZING, Jarom didn't say a word about the dog and we all get ready for school. He finally said something right before we left for school about going to see the dog. I told him after school.
So all day I am stewing over if I just need to take the dog back and not give up so quickly. I even prayed about this stupid puppy. I felt so stupid that this puppy was causing so much drama. I just kept asking Heavenly Father to help to know what to do and what was the right decision, but i never really got an answer. So I finally have a quiet moment as I go to get Cole from school and I finally get this good feeling about taking the dog back and making it work and it will all be ok. However I knew I had to talk to Josh first and I also wanted to wait until Jarom got home from school. I tried to call Josh and he didn't answer.
My neighbor then calls and says I have a home for the puppy. For a second I was like NO I finally have decided that we are going to keep this puppy! I told her great and then finally got ahold of Josh. He let me know he didn't miss the dog and wouldn't care to see him back. I picked up jarom from school and not a word said about the dog.
So after a long 2 weeks and a crazy day of not knowing what to do, we are once again dog free. I will miss the cute little puppy. He was super cute and really was a great puppy, but I wont miss the stress of thinking my kids were going to kill this puppy and the early mornings of going out to go to the bathroom. I wont miss the smell of dog food and Camrie trying to eat it. I wont miss my feet and hands and face always trying to get bitten by super sharp teeth.
I can officially say I have had a dog, but I can also call my self a puppy drop out. I don't know how other families do it. I have so much more respect for you families, but I will say I don't think I will ever be a family with a puppy again. SORRY CHARLIE!!!
1 comment:
I here ya! We are in the same boat only it's been three months now and Meatball isn't really a puppy any more (he just turned 1). We keep going back and forth, keep him or don't keep him. Why do they have to be so stinkin cute?
Post a Comment