June 20, 2009

They had it right by naming the race GASPIN in the Aspins.

Today Katie, Stephanie and I ran our 15 k race in Flagstaff. To start off I am here writing this post so that is good news, I finished and I am still alive.It was so cold this morning. Hard to believe that we were freezing in Arizona in June. It didn't take long to warm up though. We had great weather. It rained early that morning and so everything was nice and soft.
So this was my first race EVER, so I have nothing to compare it to, but it was FREAKIN tough. I loved the trail run, it kept you focused the whole time. The first 2 miles is a straight climb uphill, I quickly was left in the dust by Katie and Stephanie. I couldn't get control of my breathing. I was GASPIN!!!!
But then after that first 3 miles, I finally got my breathing slowed down and was feeling good. Just in time for my stupid knee to start giving me grief. I get the worst pain on the outside of my knee. It killed going downhill.
But my only goal was to run the whole race and finish and I did both of those. There were so many times when I wanted to stop or I would look up and see the hill I had to get to the top of and I thought there was no way, but I would just look down and say to my self, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
I finished the race in 1:43. that put me at about 11 minute miles. Not great, but I am ok with it.I have to say I saw the finish line and I was so excited. Then as I was about to cross the line, there is my cheering section and I was even more excited. Then as I got closer, Jarom runs up and yells, GO MOMMY GO!!! I almost started to cry. I was so happy to be done!!!!
I will be honest when I finished the race my knees were hurting so bad. I told everyone I did my race ,I don't think I need to do that again. But as I write this post, I am feeling good ( after complaining all day and having the Advil finally kick in) and really would like to do another race, maybe not a trail run next, but I am not done. I hope this is just the first of many. Thanks Katie and Stephanie for a fun weekend and Nice work on the race. You two are amazing.
Oh I almost forgot, Tonight as me and the boys were eating I asked Jarom what was his favorite thing about this weekend at the cabin and he said " Saying GO MOMMY GO!!! isn't he so stinkin cute. I love this kid.

Thanks Josh, Jarom and Cole for going to flag and supporting me.

5 comments:

Katrina Rasband said...

way to go! that is something i think about doing but will find every excuse out there not to lol super job!

Diana said...

Great job! I felt a little lump in my throat when you said Jarom was cheering for you! So cute!

Rachel said...

Congratulations! An 11 minute mile sounds pretty good to me and especially with knee pain. Great job.

russandkatie said...

I get emotional at the end of every race! There is just something about seeing your family there cheering for you after you have done something so hard that just brings you to tears. Thanks for a great weekend!

The Booth Family said...

I am with Katrina! I would love to do this sometime but Oh, too bad I am pregnant right now :)