We all arrived at the same time. It was so fun to all be together. Dad was waiting for us all to get in. He had a great chicken soup ready and we all ate like we hadn't eaten in days. It tasted so good.
Monday morning we all just hung out and relaxed from all the traveling. That night we headed down to the lake to swim and play. Dad had to work during the day but we played hard when he got home.
The Family reunion wasn't really suppose to start until Wednesday but since most of us ended up coming Sunday it kind of started early. Looking back now I am so grateful that we had the extra days to hang out all together.
We took many trips over to the beach to play. Kids played in the hot tub, and at the park and us girls shopped to get all the food ready for when everyone was there. Wednesday Josh flew in that night and I was so glad. We were really missing him.
Thursday we had planned a big trip to the Coeur d' Alene lake to swim and have a BBQ. It was so much fun. The kids loved playing in the sand. Even Camrie got in and loved it.
Then that night, Shane flew into town and we took the hour car ride up the mountain to my parents favorite huckleberry picking spot. We had packed a dinner and was ready for a fun night. We got there and there were no huckleberries. We were all so sad. It was also really cold and so we had a fire, had dinner and came home. I think we drove more than we were there. My dad had asked was it worth it? we all didn't really think so at the time, but once again looking back just being able to be in some of my dad's favorite places made it all worth it.
Friday everyone got up really early and left for a river trip. Me and my sister stayed home with the (4) 2 year olds and the (2) 4 year olds. When the whole group left they left me standing there with all 6 kids crying. It was quite the adventure trying to take care of 6 young kids. I made a list of what can happen in a day with that many kids....
1. flood a bedroom with the sprinklers outside.
2. spread poop all over a pack-n-play during a nap
3. turn the sprinklers on the babysitters that are there to help.
4. goldfish and cheerios all over the couch and floor
5. fighting
6. crying
7. tired adults by the end
I was just counting down the time until 5pm hit because that is when everyone was suppose to be home. Around 4pm we get a call that they wont be home until 6pm. That hour took forever. Sunni and Larry got into town and picked up the pizza and so the kids were happy at least.
We also had planned to take family pictures this night and I didn't see how it was possible. Everyone got in with sun burnt faces, they ate and we rushed off to take the pictures. Again looking back on the whole week, these pictures will be cherished forever. We have NEVER had a family picture taken with every family member in it. What a time to have it happen.
That night we were also suppose to play and hang out but everyone was so tired from the river trip and some of us had to get up early to be ready for the triathlon and so we all went our separate ways and went to bed.
5:30 Saturday morning came pretty early. I prayed that the kids would sleep good for me so I could nurse Camrie and put her back to sleep and head over to the race. I was up pretty late with Camrie but then I stayed up even later to write a letter to my dad for his birthday gift. We had all planned to write letters to him for his 60th birthday.
Nick, and his wife Jess and I rode over to the lake around 6am and when we got there dad was already there and had saved us some spots. We were able to hang out and laugh and get ready for the race to begin. Nick and Jess do triathlons all the time and so they knew just what to do, but me and my dad were a bit nervous. I hadn't planned to do the tri because I had just had Camrie and was so not in shape for it. But again looking back I am so grateful for this time I had with my dad.
Nick and Jess went out to swim and warm up and me and my dad went over to a park bench to wait for our group to be called. Me and my dad didn't say to much, but I can remember helping him get his swim cap on. It was poking his ears out and and pulling his eye brows up. I tired to help him fix it, but it sure made me laugh. The first group was called and Nick and Jess were in that group. We didn't see them before they took off, but they took off and we got ready to take off. I was freezing, because I decided last minute to do the race I didn't have a wet suit and so I was in a sports bra and bike shorts. The water actually wasn't too cold, but the wind was pretty bad and so the lake was pretty choppy. You could tell my dad was a bit nervous, but so was I. right before our group was sent off, my dad tapped me on my shoulder and said " GOOD LUCK BABE". I sure wish I would had known that would be the last time I would be with my dad and that those were his last words to me. We started to swim and about 4 times I got the feeling that I needed to find my dad. I would stop swimming and look around for him, but with all the swimmers and everyone in the same color swim cap I knew it was impossible to find him. I told myself he would be fine and I would see him soon along the bike course. I think all the time if things would have been different had I stopped and really found him, but I don't think so.
I got done with the swim and found my mom, Shane and Josh cheering me on and taking pictures. It was so good to see them. We tried to find them before the race and couldn't. I got my clothes on and was off on the bike. Man was the bike route HARD. My dad wanted me to come ride it with him Wednesday night but I had to get Josh from the airport. Good thing I didn't ride it before because if I had, I don't think I would of done the triathlon. It was a killer.
The whole time during the ride I kept looking for my dad, Nick and Jess, but didn't see any of them. I finally saw Nick when I was coming in from the ride. He was actually finishing the race. As I came in off my bike I saw am ambulance and was sad to think that something had happened to someone. I came across the line and hear the race people yell...209, 209 she is here! I thought that was kind of weird why would they care if I was in or not. I came around the corner to put my bike up and there was my dad's bike and swim towel all in the same spot that he left it. I remember thinking " OH CRAP" before I was even told anything I knew something was wrong. A guy came up to me and said 209 your dad has been taken to the hospital, he had a heart attack. I lost it, I couldn't even hold my bike up. He grabbed my bike and I was just bawling. I was all alone and didn't know what to do. Finally Nick came in from the run and Jess found me. We packed our stuff up, but because we rode our bikes to the race we didn't have a car. A guy ran us home and we called my mom to find out what we needed to do. You could tell she was upset but she told us to come to the emergency room. I asked if everything was OK and she said yes but just come. When I hung up I turned to Nick and said "what if its not OK? How many heart attacks can you have before it takes you? He said we can't worry until we get there.
We ran in and they took us back and right away I saw my brother Shane and 2 sisters in the hall way in tears. My brother looked at me and shook his head and I lost it again. I was shaking so bad. I couldn't control my self. I also yelled something that doesn't need to be repeated, but my mom ran out and got me and took me into Josh.
I couldn't believe we were dealing with it. All my dad wanted us to finish. He had worked so hard over the past 6 months. He had just finished the biggest loser challenge and lost 30 pounds and then later lost 20 more pounds with training for the race. Every morning he would ride his bike 5 miles to the lake and then swim the 1/2 mile in the lake and then ride home. If anyone was ready for the race it was him.
Little did we know that he was finishing! Finishing the race that he was racing in this life. As hard as it is to deal with the loss of my dad, one of my best friends, we don't think it is just chance that we were all together for the first time ever and had the week to hang out and have our time with our dad. Dad wasn't training for a triathlon, he was finishing things he had to do before his time was up. He finally had lost the weight that he struggled with his whole life, He had great relationships with all his kids and grandkids and my amazing mom, he was doing what he loved.
Not a moment goes by that I don't think of my dad. I still cant believe that I cant just pick up the phone and call my dad. that I won't ever get a call from him. That I can't give him a hug or hear his laugh.
I think I have gone through every emotion possible in the past 2 weeks and know that I will for a while. I am grateful for the gospel and the knowledge that I have. I am grateful that I know that I will see my dad again and that he will be watching over me and will be waiting for me with open arms when its my turn to return to my father in heaven.
Gabe said one night that dad always wanted to serve a mission, but we know that he is doing that right now. We know that our family has a lot of work that still needs to get done for us to be an eternal family and dad is working overtime to make sure that it gets done.
It does bring a smile to my face to know that my dad learned all he needed to learn and did all that he needed to do by age 60 and that he was able to return to heaven without any regrets.
I am so proud of my dad. I am so proud to call him one of my greatest friends. He has always been a huge part of my life. I think Josh was a bit jealous because he thought that he should be the #1 man in my life and he is, but no one could take the place of my dad. I sure am going to miss him. I am so grateful that I was able to have that hour with my dad before he passed away and that the last words he said to me were GOOD LUCK BABE. I don't think I needed to hear it about the race. I think I needed to hear those words from him because he knew this wasn't going to be easy.
I love you dad. I am so grateful for the love and support you have always given to me. I am grateful for the amazing 26 years I was able to have with you and can't wait for the day when I can run into your arms again. Please stay close to me and my family. Help us learn the things we need to know so we can be an eternal family to be together forever some day. Even though you are gone please stay close so we can see your smile and hear your laugh in all we do. I am so grateful that my kids were able to know their grandpa and love you. I am so grateful I was able to have you give me a fathers blessing in June and to feel the love that you have for me. I will never forget our daddy daughter dates, you coaching me in softball, coming to my swim meets and my soccer games. For teaching me to love the outdoors and to be tough. For teaching me the importance of trust and for never giving up on me. I am who I am today because of you dad. I LOVE YOU !!!!!!






16 comments:
Jess,
This was so beautifully written, it really had me in tears. You have been in our prayers and we are sending lots of love your way!
Oh Jess. I'm so, so sorry. What an amazing last week, day, hour your dad had here on this earth. How blessed you are to be left with his kind words. Wow. Those family photos are priceless. You are so strong to write this. I'm reminded of all the little things that happened the last year of my dad's life that seemed out of place at the time, but were actually my dad's way of starting his goodbye until our next life together. Lots of love. Families ARE forever.
that was so neat to read, thanks for sharing!
Jess, this took me forever to read because it was hard to see through the tears, but thank you so much for sharing this and with so many personal details. Your dad is a great man and will be greatly missed. I admire your strength and how positive you are.
Just wanted to say that I love you and I admire your faith and courage. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Jess, what an amazing story. You can truly see the Lord's hand in that last week you had with your family. I am amazed at the strength that you have shown. What a wonderful blessing that families are forever.
Jess, thank you so much for sharing this, you had me bawling! Your Dad was so neat and will be missed so much. I admire your testimony of eternal families. We love you so much!
Oh Jessica, I am so so sorry. My heart is breaking for you right now. But thank you for sharing your beautiful faith with us. Your family will be in our prayers.
WOW! That was a beautiful tribute to your dad. You are an amazing person & so strong. Your faith is amazing & you are quite the example. I admire you. Families ARE Forever. Know that you are loved by so many & that so many are here for you. Hugs
Jess,
That was so sweet! Thank you for sharing. Your family is in our prayers.
Thanks for sharing something so personal, Jess. Brad and I read it together and talked about what a great guy your dad is. Heavenly Father will make up the difference for you and your family, I'm sure. What a wonderful legacy your dad left! I love you Jess!
what great experiences you guys had together that week! thanks for sharing that, I know that probably wasn't easy. Ive been thinking about you like crazy...love you!
I am so sorry for your loss!! What a sweet post in tribute your dad. He sounds like he was a great man. How lucky you were to spend that time with him before he died and have pictures taken. Thanks for sharing!
i'm so sorry for your loss. you guys have been in our prayers.
Jessica,
I sure love you and your family. I am so sorry you are all going through your own stages of mourning. The pain does get easier over time, but the ache of wanting to hold, touch, talk to our loved ones who have died never ebbs. Your family picture took my breath away! Hold on to the memories you have, never forget, and let yourself mourn in the way you need to heal. When looking at our Heavenly Father's eternal plan, this life is so short. Your dad will be near. He had such a strong presence, and I will miss his great big bear hugs!I love you and will keep you in my prayers.
Jessica,
I sure love you and your family. I am so sorry you are all going through your own stages of mourning. The pain does get easier over time, but the ache of wanting to hold, touch, talk to our loved ones who have died never ebbs. Your family picture took my breath away! Hold on to the memories you have, never forget, and let yourself mourn in the way you need to heal. When looking at our Heavenly Father's eternal plan, this life is so short. Your dad will be near. He had such a strong presence, and I will miss his great big bear hugs!I love you and will keep you in my prayers.
Post a Comment